APEC Data Privacy Pathfinder (Sept 2007):
“established by APEC Ministers to achieve accountable cross-border flow of personal information within the APEC region. This goal is to be achieved by developing and implementing a Cross-Border Privacy Rules (CBPR) system, consistent with the APEC Privacy Framework which was endorsed by APEC Ministers in 2004″.
APEC Privacy Framework (published Dec. 2005):
“Ministers have endorsed the APEC Privacy Framework, recognizing the importance of the development of effective privacy protections that avoid barriers to information flows, ensure continued trade, and economic growth in the APEC region.
The APEC Privacy Framework promotes a flexible approach to information privacy protection across APEC member economies, while avoiding the creation of unnecessary barriers to information flows”.
Essentially, the framework:
- Improves information sharing among government agencies and regulators;
- Facilitates the safe transfer of information between economies;
- Establishes a common set of privacy principles;
- Encourages the use of electronic data as a means to enhance and expand business; and
- Provides technical assistance to those economies that have yet to address privacy from a regulatory or policy perspective.
The page describing APEC Data Privacy (Electronic Commerce Steering) can be found at: http://www.apec…
The APEC Privacy Framework can be downloaded at http://publications.apec…
The APEC Data Privacy Pathfinder can be downloaded at http://www.apec…